Monday, May 21, 2012

On Tea (mine) and Tenacity (Liz's)


Yesterday I did a guest post over at Liz Fenwick’s blog. I was talking about tea; actually I was talking about life in a foreign country but channelling the tea theme. (And do go and look at my sister’s beautiful teapot, which has a starring role in the post.)

Liz and I met online as early Novel Racers. I think I’m going to make her blush but have a huge admiration crush on Liz. She was already taking her writing seriously when she joined the novel race but she has shown such tenacity through those years of learning the craft, that… well, I just really admire her. I know a teensy tiny bit how difficult writing a novel is and I hadn’t even got to the rejection stage!

So this month, Orion is publishing Liz’s first novel, The Cornish House. I cannot wait to read it.

Liz was always a great support to me when I was writing and I am enormously grateful for that. It leads me to thinking about my own experience and of my recent giving up status. Have I given up? Have I stopped just for a bit? My good friend, P – of the ‘total strangers for Christmas’ episode…. (Gasp! I don’t think I’ve ever recounted that story on this blog. There’s a post for this week, then.) Anyway, P asked me yesterday on skype about my writing and how I feel about not doing it. I’m still very happy with the decision. I often have ‘mmm, that would make a good story’ thoughts and I think regularly about the non-fiction book, which I think has real potential if someone else hasn’t already written it by the time I get my act together. In fact, I’m pretty sure I will write fiction again but right now I’m happy because I'm still creating: I've returned to my art roots for the time being. More on that another time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Am blushing here! Thank you for your kind words and yes I have been very tenacious...

I think you will write again but when it suits you. You are a creative soul and I think it hasn't yet found its primary outlet - it's just checking them all out to be sure and may well do it a few times...

I know because I did this too...and now I've put the others away which is so hard but writing is where my heart is...for now.

Thank you for sharing on my blog and in my journey!

lx

Chris Stovell said...

It's lovely to see Liz being rewarded for the hard work she's put in. I agree with Liz about your writing/not writing... I'm willing to bet that you haven't put your pen away just yet!

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Liz. I don't know if I'll ever be able to choose between the two disciplines.... Or maybe there is one that combines both and I haven't yet discovered my part in it. (Actually, there is; it's my non-fiction project!)

Chris, it is and she deserves it sooo much. Yeah, I don't think so either, I think the difference for me is that I'm just not driven by publishing...

Flowerpot said...

I agree JJ, we all need time to let creative stuff come out in different ways - nothing is ever wasted. And yes, major congratulations to Liz!