Monday, January 02, 2012

Reading recommendations

I still haven’t got a kindle. Don’t feel sorry for me, as I am more than adequately techied up. I do have the kindle app which means I can read on my iPhone or my iPad so I’m not missing out. Here are a few e-book recommendations.

It must be so interesting being a crime writer. I was sitting in Starbucks the other day reading this crime thriller and I had to google 'can you get DNA from vomit?' Imagine your days filled with questions like that. My friend and former Novel Racer, Mel has just published her first book, Taunting the Dead, featuring DS Allie Shenton. I love a novel with had a strong sense of place – in Stoke on Trent – I loved all the references to the pottery industry.) It was gritty and a brilliant page-turner. I recommend it to anyone who likes to get into a gory crime.

My second recommendation is an anthology, Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After.  A collection of twenty-six short stories written by a group of women who have had hundreds of stories published in women’s magazines. They’ve written novels, had stories win prizes in competition and there’s something here for everyone. I love a short story in between my first love – novels.

Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After includes stories by Cally Taylor, Bernadette James, Tamsyn Murrary, Jill Steeples, Jenny Maltby, Deborah Carr, Karen Clarke, Sally Quilford, Kathleen McGurl, Sarah Dunnakey, Helen Kara, Helen M Hunt and Leigh Forbes.

My third recommendation is Five Stop Story: Short Stories to Read in 5 Stops on Your Commute. Five Stop Story is an electronic publisher specializing in short stories by new writers that you can read in five stops on the underground – or indeed, the BTS. Since their inception they’ve had over 1,000 entries to their competitions and this ebook features 30 of the best stories from those entries. 

And, look at the cover! Isn’t it just beautiful?

6 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Thanks so much for recommending, Tears and Laughter, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it.

I have Mel's book downloaded on my Kindle and can't wait to read it.

I'll have to look up the Five Stop Story book. Thanks for the heads up about it.

Sherri said...

Delighted you enjoyed the book. Thank you.

I don't have a Kindle either, but over the last few months have felt myself wavering, so you never know.

Mel said...

Jen, thanks so much for the mention! And yes, I do google some really bizarre things...I often wonder if alarms sound anywhere with certain words, eek.

And, like Debs with my book, I too have Tears and Laughter to read and review. It's a pleasure to read. I love dipping in and out of anthologies. Halfway through...really enjoying it.

And Happy New Year! x

Unknown said...

I downloaded the first mystery and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the reviews.

Jen said...

I haven't got a Kindle either but never mind... I downloaded Mel's book onto my phone and can't wait to get stuck in.

Glad you liked Tears & Laughter too, of course!

Smiling at random Google search possibilities now... I remember searching for the side effects of consuming embalming fluid for one of my T&L stories! Writerly brains make us do some weird stuff, don't they?

Carol said...

Oooh cool things to read...now I have a few more to add to my list of books I'm going to buy!

Happy New Year hon

C x