Sunday, August 08, 2010

All Quiet on the Eastern Front


Sorry that it’s been so quiet here.

When I got back to Bangkok I had a friend to stay. She’d been working in Phuket for a month and came up to see us before transferring to Bali to meet her family. She was the very first person I called after Husband dropped me the ‘I’ve been offered a promotion in Bangkok’ bombshell. She was (and continues to be) a source of great wisdom about expat life. I met her at our kids’ primary school when she returned from many years living in SE Asia and we’ve been trying and failing to meet up in Bangkok since we got here.

As she made her way to Bali, so we were on our way to Koh Samui.

That’s where we are now. Husband’s colleague said ‘Two weeks in Samui? OMG; you’ll be so bored.” But we wanted a do nothing holiday… I’ve got ten books to read and my own novel to re-write. How can I get bored?

I had planned to pelt through my reading list but the mood took me to start rewriting so that’s what I’m doing in the mornings and reading with whatever time is left over. So far I’ve enjoyed reading/am reading:

• Dad's Life by Dave Hill
• Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby
Turning The Tide by Christine Stovell

And I’m 9% through reordering my manuscript. Happily, there isn’t nearly as much mess as I’d anticipated.

10 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

That sounds like a blissful place to be working on your manuscript. Glad it's going so well.

I haven't read the first two books on your list, but I have read Turning The Tide and I'm sure you'll love it.

Have a great holiday.x

Sue Guiney said...

9% -- well, precision is key!

Unknown said...

Was this a holiday to have a rest from the holiday??????

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Debs. I'm three-quarters through Turning The Tide and loving it. Clever Chris!

Sue, oh dear; it's all in the detail. I keep myself going by checking my progress.

Karen, Oh errr, I know it must seem like that but going back to the UK is partly duty. Husband doesn't come so this is a family holiday to errr, be together after the period in the UK...

Chris Stovell said...

Oh I'm in scarily illustrious company there! Good luck with the m/s.

HelenMWalters said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time.

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Chris. I'm really enjoying TTT. Loving it. And very nearly finished.

Helen, we are. Lazy and doing what we want...

Liane Spicer said...

Sounds like bliss. Could use some of that right now!

Jenny Beattie said...

Liane, sorry to hear that. Hope life improves soon. Hugs, JJx

Queenie said...

Hurrah, hurrah! Good for you!