Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Advertising in Asia


I was standing in the queue at the Siam skytrain stop the other day and over the head of the woman in front of me, I spotted something. Ewugh, I thought.



Then yesterday Daughter texted me from the school bus “Blog picture,” she texted, “Bottom of the Cowboy: giant spider 7m by 5m. Really gross but good pic.” (The Cowboy, one of Bangkok’s red light districts, is at the bottom of our soi.)

Sure enough: Big Siam Spider’s cousin, Cowboy Spider, clung to the building.



It was only then that I worked out it was advertising Clorets sugar free mints/gum. (Yes, I really am that short sighted.)

What? How? Why would anyone advertise breath freshening products with such a venomous looking spider? Am I missing something?

I googled and found nothing. Are they trying it out on us? Yes, I know I’m talking about it but only because ewwugh…. This would never persuade to try their products.

During my googling I found this: Asia really has its own rules when it comes to advertising.


10 comments:

Denise said...

Yuk, reminds me of the giant one by my feet as I got into the shower yesterday!

Carol said...

I must admit...the first thing that pops into my head when someone says mints is not a giant spider!! (makes for great photo's though!)

C x

Jayne said...

Hello! I am trying to think of how a venomous spider sells mints (and enjoying myself immensely.) Apart from now seeing in my mind’s eye some sort of cartoon spider waving a mint in each arm/leg/spindly thing, I cannot think why they chose a spider, unless they are saying unless you want venomous spider breath, get a mint – which sort of begs the question when did they smell a spider’s breath? It’s not the sort of thing David Attenborough ever explained on one of those Planet Earth episodes – venom, yes we get that, but their breath can kill? Poor spiders. (And thanks for the fun thoughts!)

Anonymous said...

You're obviously not Asoknophobic then.....

What a tarantularific post! Please keep 'em coming.

Best wishes, Boonsong

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

It makes you wonder who came up with the idea. Spiders *shudders dramatically*

Fran Hill said...

No, I can't see the link either. Maybe it's one of those campaigns no one is supposed to understand, but everyone talks about, and they get our money that way?

Angie said...

Oh dear lord, I winced when that picture appeared. (Good shot, though.) Ewugh indeed! I cannot imagine how that is good advertising for breath mints. Perhaps it's meant to be a threat? Buy our mints our we'll sick spiders on you! *shudders*
The video however had me cracking up.

Flowerpot said...

blimey.....!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I really don't like the look of them.

XX

Liane Spicer said...

Ewggh indeed. Are they trying to scare people away from their product?

That said, it's certainly a show stopper!