Thursday, October 29, 2009

Assignation

I had an assignation today.

With someone I’ve never met. We had been put in touch by a mutual contact. I'd offered to take a package from the UK to Bangkok, arrange a rendezvous and to deliver it. It was carefully wrapped in an innocuous WHSmiths bag. This product, I was told, wasn't available in Thailand...

I nearly left home in dark glasses and the collar on my mac turned up; then I remembered I didn’t have a mac, and even if I had got one it would be hot and sweaty in the Bangkok heat.

We arranged to meet at Starbucks on Thonglor. I pushed the parcel over the table to her.

Inside was ‘Heaven Can Wait’ by Cally Taylor.

Then we had coffee and a good old natter.

When I left her I had to go to Emporium and I can’t go to Empo without also going to Kinokuniya the big beautiful bookshop. I walked in through the door and this is what I saw:

6 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

How exciting meeting an old friend, albeit in book form, so unexpectedly like that.

Jenny Beattie said...

Debs, it really is.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fabulous delivery! And the book is well worth the read too, I read it last Saturday - never read a whole book in one day but I simply couldn't put it down!

CJ xx

Beth said...

that made me laugh! :)

CL Taylor said...

Thanks SO MUCH for taking the book over to S. I can't believe you went to all that trouble and all the time my book was in Bangkok! Did make me grin.

Jenny Beattie said...

CJ, it was very funny, wasn't it?

B, ;D

Cally, it didn't matter at all. It was no trouble. My suitcase was overweight but not to the tune of one 'Heaven Can Wait'!