Monday, July 27, 2009

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig

It wasn't difficult.

All I had to do was take to the UK the old, falling apart luggage, dispose of them, and return with new tougher suitcases to Bangkok. We knew what we wanted and it was cheaper to buy them in the UK. Simple, eh?

But something went wrong.

And no, it wasn’t the obvious thing of not making it home with falling to pieces bags. Even though string and sellotape held our baggage together en route to the UK we felt most lucky and relieved not to have had them explode, spewing books and knickers over Heathrow's carousel.

Soon after we arrived, Son and I went off to purchase new suitcases and then we got on with having a fabulous trip. We saw lots of people, though sadly not absolutely everyone because how can we? Then it was time to think about packing again. I used to start compiling packing lists two weeks before we went away but a combination of more travelling experience, and training from Husband means that now I leave it to the last minute.

I'm still not quite sure what happened... I did start to think about packing… I gave one old case to the nieces to take on holiday but all the others I kept– just in case, y’know? It was when it became urgent for us to pack that it dawned on me that something was amiss. Clearly, our possessions had swollen or something… maybe it was the air? No matter how much I jiggered things around, or begged space in the children's cases, the stuff wasn't going in.

So in the end, some of the old suitcases had to make the return trip to Bangkok again.

2 comments:

Marcie Steele said...

Glad you got home safely honey x

Jenny Beattie said...

L-Plate, thanks m'dear.