Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Alas poor Yorick...

Back in April/May, my brother, sister, sister-in-law and I began planning a birthday party for our Dad whose 80th birthday was coming up. We considered, contemplated and then…

On the invitations we told guests of our plans to make our parents a rose garden. We contacted David Austin Roses to ask if they would do us a gift list for Dad’s birthday and we decided it would be on a theme. We chose Shakespeare as our theme because Mum and Dad are a bit obsessed with him and his plays. (Every year, for as long as I can remember, my parents have holidayed in Stratford Upon Avon, watching all the current RSC productions. My mum is a drama teacher, local director and my Dad has acted in several plays.) David Austin obliged with the ‘list’ idea and we chose roses like Noble Anthony, Cordelia, Othello, Wise Portia, Falstaff and even William Shakespeare for guests to purchase if they wished.

A local woman was engaged to do the catering as our numbers were looking alarming. Instead of doing a birthday cake, my sister asked her to make cup cakes (these are all the rage, dahling.) These were the cup cakes that arrived on the day:









Of course the Toby one, I mean Yorick, was my favourite.

12 comments:

Queenie said...

It would have been my favourite, too ;-) So did the party go well? Was your Dad happy?

Chris Stovell said...

Aw, brilliant - what kind children you are. I bet your dad will be very touched by all the thought you've put into his celebrations.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a fabulous idea - both roses and cupcakes. They looked delicious too (cupcakes, that is).

Jenny Beattie said...

Queenie, the party went really well thank you. My Dad was astonished and didn't have any idea what was going on - he knew something was happening, but not what - until people started arriving.

Chris, thank you. He loved it. We had a brilliant day.

Debs, thank you. Some people didn't eat the decoration even though they were edible, as they thought they were too nice!

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea to do cupcakes, and they look so beautiful too. It's my husband's 60th this year and I'm thinking of a get together. This might be a good idea for him rather than a big cake.

CJ xx

Flowerpot said...

those are real works of art!

Liane Spicer said...

Lovely. I like Toby too. And the rose garden is the best idea ever!

Catherine said...

Cupcakes - what a fantastic and practical idea! And what creative decorations on top too.

My years of making cupcakes are gone, but they continue to be sweet memories :-D

Happy belated birthday to your dear 'ole dad from me.

DJ Kirkby said...

Could I have one of each please?

Susie Vereker said...

What smashing cakes! And how original. Yes, it amuses me that cup cakes are fashionable. I believe they have taken over from doughnuts. Not that I make cakes anymore, alas.

sheepish said...

Lovely ideas and I'm glad your dad had a super birthday. Those cupcakes look amazing, too good to eat, well no I think I could manage one or three!!!

Carol said...

It was absolutely brilliant seeing you hon!! I had a lovely day :-)

Those cup cakes are amazing!!

C x