Monday, March 10, 2008

Today

I can’t decide what to blog about today so for want of anything else to say …

My toenails are painted a very bright and gorgeous Versace Orange. (After all the handbag talk, this blog is looking most unserious.) I have already dented my little finger on my left, (not orange) which shows I’m not nearly grown up enough to have nail polish on my hands. I’ve just taken a picture of the spectacular orange, but I can’t post it for fear of scaring you all with my trotters.

I have to do some free writing on my main character’s husband. I never write from his viewpoint, but it’s essential that writers feel they know enough about him. I don’t know enough about him, so I need to do some work.

It’s looking likely that some of us can meet in Manchester for the weekend of 26/27 April (when I’m coming to visit). If you haven’t seen the Novel Racers’ blog post about this – head on over there now.

I am reading Julia Bell’s Dirty Work. I love the voice of Hope, who is at that inbetweeny stage of adolescence; not quite grown up, but not a child either. I’ve just reached the stage where she’s going to grow up pretty damn quick though. For those of you writing YA novels, do think about reading them – I also loved Massive (so did my son not quite 14). Julia told me at Christmas that schools have picked up on her books because of the issues and they are perfect support to the PSHE curriculum. (I hope I’m not misquoting here.)

I am meant to be reading Bleak House for Book Club, but I have Bleak Expectations of that … no not really, I’m just not in the mood. It’s very large, not that that scares me, but I will have to get on with it after Dirty Work if I want to get it finished in time for the meeting.

Ho hum. I think that’s all for today. Got the whole day to myself for writing tomorrow. Yay.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

I've never been able to paint my fingernails, let alone my toes!

Jenny Beattie said...

Oooh, Yvonne, don't tell anyone, but I got them done (it's very cheap here!)
JJx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

It's not so much fun reading something when you have a time frame in which to do it.

Your nails sound lovely.

Jenny Beattie said...

Debs, Yes, the time frame is difficult. I like to read it as close to the meeting as possible but when it's as vast as Bleak House - I'm not sure how to time it. I like the concept of Book Clubs of being told what to read though. I end up loving something that I know I would never have picked up otherwise.

Thank you - the nails are a rather divine colour.

Jjx