Saturday, March 29, 2008

*Phew*

HELLOOOOO...

I’m full of the joys of being humanoid again. I realise that this is partly a feeling created by the comparison of feeling crapulous but, hey, I can live with that ‘cos I feel fab.

I was extremely cross about my contact lens. I wear wore gas permeable lenses so there’s no flipping another little disposable number out of its packet. Right lens has gone; disappeared and left lens is no good without right. It so happens that my folks have made me an appointment to change my lenses when I come to the UK BUT that still means spending the next 6 weeks in glasses and really, I just don’t like them. Lenses feel part of me – glasses are an appendage sit on the front of my face and the gap between my eyes and the lens means by vision isn’t so good. So I have solved my contact lens crisis. I’ve ordered some disposables so that I don’t have to wear glasses ‘til the end of my English trip. I’m told they’re easier to wear than gas perms (which are better for your eyes) so I’m hoping they won’t feel too different.

Having joined the land of the living again I stayed out after a family lunch to organise my new lenses and then I went to the lovely, gorgeous and life affirming Kinokuniya bookshop. I bought three books – god, I love buying books, and now I’ve come home to stroke them, dip in and out of them, blog and get back into my characters.

Oh life is good again…

4 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

gas permeable lenses...yikes, I didn't think they still made those. I had a pair to wear to my wedding 25 years ago, then I said -- "forget it, he's got me now for better or worse. I can't stand the aggravation," so my contact lense life lasted 2 days. Though, I must admit, I started thinking about getting them again just a few months ago.....hmmm....Hope you enjoy your trip back to Blightey!

Jenny Beattie said...

SueG, Gas Perms are different from hard lenses. Did you mean those? GPs are called rigid and are better for the eyes because they allow oxygen through the lenses and into your eyes.

However, you're absolutely right that they are bloody hard to get used to. It took me three goes. Soft are so much easier, but no optician in his right mind would put me on soft if I can manager GPs!

I'd say, try soft next time. You need a lot of willpower to get used to the GPs.

Lane Mathias said...

Glad to hear you feel fully cleansed and invigorated again. Buying a few books always helps doesn't it?:-)

Jenny Beattie said...

It does Lane, books always help any malady.