Monday, January 07, 2008

Here we go again?

I am so sorry about my whining post yesterday but thank you to all of you who commented and emailed supportively.

I don’t want anyone to think I’m not willing to put the effort in; I am and I’m enjoying it. I don’t believe for a second that I should get handed something without putting in some hard work. I think I am working hard at it.

And I certainly don’t mean to have given the impression that I haven’t liked the criticism – well alright, liking the criticism isn’t exactly true – but after the ‘Oh my god, I’m so crap’ feeling wears off, I’ve realised how useful the feedback is: it’s exactly what I asked for and what I need.

The epiphany I’ve had is how much help getting feedback gives me. If I keep trying to write on my own I might be 85 before I realise what it is I’m doing wrong. The growth of someone as a writer working it all out on their own is going to be slower than someone who’s getting advice, that’s all I mean.

But if I join a writer’s group where everyone is like me; well, that’s gonna be the blind leading the blind, isn’t it?

7 comments:

Helen said...

Hey JJ. For the record I don't think you aren't willing to put the effort in. Far from it. x

Jenny Beattie said...

Hi Helen, no I don't think anyone thought it except me! I think I've just posted another round of whining. Less whining, more working!
Thanks.
JJx

Yvonne said...

I think of you as one of the hardest workers, defintely. You graft!

I joined a writer's group and it didn't really work out - no-one made much of an effort, it was a shame. I would definitely go with a writer's group that was recommended to you.

Another thing - how about doing an online writer's group? It could be a very informal thing. When you have an article/chapter/novel that you want some feedback on, perhaps you could email it to other bloggers that you trust?

I was hoping that some of the bloggers that I've got to know could help me review my novel, as I don't really know any other writers locally. I was thinking of putting together a questionnaire to help focus the feedback.

Basically it boils down to this - if you want some feedback, I and many others who visit you would love to help.

Cathy said...

Yvonne's idea is a great one. You work very hard and you can cetainly write, it is just a case of finding the right people to share your work with. On a course or at a writer's group you might be lucky, you might not. Even tutors on courses can vary a lot...they are not all like Julia!

Cx

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through Liz Fenwick's and wanted to say "Hi"

KeVin K. said...

What's the point of a blog if you can't whine? Okay, ranting and railing. And bragging about your kids. And cat pictures. Lord knows the internet needs more cat pictures -- preferably with misspelled captions. But essentially it's all about the whining. "Blog" actually means "to whine" in Estonian. Little known fact.

Dearheart, you are not whining, you are expressing frustration. Whining requires a more limited vocabulary, at least 42% more self-absorption, and the ability to ignore both reality and perfectly good advice. So when it comes to being a whiner, you have several handicaps to overcome, any one of which precludes success in the venture. Give it up.

Best stick with something at which you're skillful and to which you're obviously well suited. Like writing.

Lane Mathias said...

I didn't detect a whine or a whinge ... or a wail for that matter. Hope you can source some useful feedback m'dear x