Monday, July 30, 2007

Words

While I was in the UK my brother and sister-in-law came over to our parents for Sunday lunch because I couldn't fit in a trip to Wiltshire. (Husband was exceedingly grateful that I was going nowhere near the Mulberry factory shop at Shepton Mallet - a mere stone's throw from my brother's! If you've never been and you're nearby - go, go, GO I tell you. Stroke the leather and inhale deeply for me please.)

But I'm getting sidetracked. My brother introduced me to this website which I think is wonderful. Having a visual mind this works so much better for me than a list of words. I was unhappy with my online dictionary so this has solved my problems for the time being.

What about the rest of you? What are your recommendations for research websites?

3 comments:

Jon M said...

That was a good site! Quite amazing! I've used http://www.victorianlondon.org/ which is a dictionary of Victorian London, quite fun to browse through if you're that way inclined.

Jen said...

Oh, I'm not visual at all. Give me great big long lists to plough through and I'm a happy word geek.

I never find useful research websites. When I'm stuck, I end up having a look at my characters' horoscopes to see what sort of day they might be having and make up more nonsense from there.

www.behindthename.com/random/ is good though. And http://www.lovereading.co.uk is good for checking out 'first novels' and opening chapters which you can download for free :)

Jenny Beattie said...

I do love it too, Jon. I love the way I can move it about! I am so easily pleased.

Jen, No, don't knock it, I like that idea. Look up their horoscopes: excellent idea trigger. Thank you.
JJx