Monday, April 16, 2007

No can do, hesitant scribe...

My extended family has highlighted some concerns they have for my health: my mental health.

They are worried about my behaviour.

They think I need a 12 step programme.

I said: ‘I am a webmaster, and committee member. I have to keep in touch.’

I said: ‘My blog needs doing every day.’

I am in denial.

I should have been able to cope for two weeks with limited access to my laptop, but I can’t. In Bangkok I kept disappearing into my office to ‘work’ and they noticed my absences.

They asked gently: ‘Does it take a long time to do the blog?’

I had to bring it on holiday to the beach, and I’ve got on the wifi router at the hotel every day to check my mail, post my blog, check everyone else’s, fiddle about with my technology… I am even doing it this morning, when we are leaving at 10.30am.

Sister-in-law asked: ‘Can’t you say on your blog that you’re away on holiday and will be back soon?’

‘No, no. I don’t want to go away: I need my laptop with me.’

My sister-in-law has diagnosed PMT-SA.

Personal Mobile Technology – Separation Anxiety.

6 comments:

hesitant scribe said...

Ah! At last! A diagnosis.

Now for treatment, and if not cure, then at least temporary alleviation of the symptoms...

I have no clue, of course, what treatments might be available! I did find that, like a heroin addict doing cold turkey, the only way was to be taken to a place without a pc, let alone an internet connection, loads of physical activity, and put to bed (well lights out - same thing) at 11pm meant I had no choice.

And it was good... really good, only now I'm stuck back in the office! And I can't get back into it!

Any ideas for a happy medium are most welcome ?!

Unknown said...

PMT-SA.......that's what it is. I'll have to break it to my family when they say oh no you're not on the computer again!!!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I've got it too! Should we start a support group?

Jenny Beattie said...

I am relieved that I'm not the only one, but goodness, it is difficult to fake nonchalance all the time.

Yes, Hesitant Scribe, a happy medium is what we need... I have no ideas for how to achieve that though. We have a bank holiday at the beginning of May, and we are thinking of going to the Bridge over the River Kwai. ALREADY I am worrying about not taking the laptop! Eugh, pathetic...

Marvellous idea Zinnia: a support group. Liz, tell your family that they can join the FF-PMT-SA (the Friends and Family of Personal Mobile Technology - Separation Anxiety Sufferers!)

JJ

Unknown said...

I will JJ, I will.......

Caroline said...

I will join the support group too - but only if I can make the membership cards :)

xxx